Vegard has led several international, multi-sector, complex programmes and evaluations, including in conflict and post-conflict situations. He has worked with civil society, parliaments, watchdog institutions and media to promote access to information, pluralistic and participatory democracy-building and rights based development. He is presently coordinating a comprehensive research programme in Angola. His main regional experience (45+years) is from Latin America, plus a number of countries in Africa and Asia.
- Dr.philos, Department of Political Science, University of Oslo. Dissertation: Economic Reforms with Potential for Political Transformation in Cuba on Raúl Castro´s Watch (2008-2018). Dissertation defended January 2019.
- 1977 Cand. Polit (equivalent to MA+), Political Science/ International Politics, University of Oslo. Thesis: “Nationalization of Oil in Venezuela: A Study of Modifications in Dependency Structures”.
- 1973 Cand. Mag, Social Sciences, University of Oslo (with courses in political science, sociology, public law).
- Democratic transition and consolidation in conflict and post-conflict societies
- Human rights
- Good governance
- Social science research
- Sustainable energy development
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Media and access to information
- Civil society